Dog birthdays are a big deal in our house. Like, “Sorry human friends, I can’t hang out today because my dog is turning five” kind of big deal. So it must come as no surprise that every year, Hoku gets an extra special homemade cake. Today, I’m sharing our simple, wheat-free, 3-layer cake recipe to celebrate the birthday pup in your life.
“And don’t worry if you’re not a great baker,
because the festive ZippyPaws birthday cake toy is one
fun treat that can’t be gobbled up in 10 seconds flat.”
2 cups garbanzo bean (chickpea) flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon honey
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup creamy, unsalted,
unsweeteened peanut butter
1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons cream cheese
Colorful, pup-friendly fruits & vegetables
of your choice (we love strawberries,
yellow bell peppers, and carrots)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
2. Mix together the garbanzo bean flour, baking soda, peanut butter, honey, eggs, and water. Fold in cut up bananas and smash until it is fully combined into the dough mixture.
3. Pour the dough onto a shallow baking tray, using a spatula to achieve a level, even layer. Dropping the baking sheet onto a tea towel a couple times helps.
4. Transfer the baking tray into the oven and bake for 12-14 minutes or until fully cooked.
5. While the cake is cooling, make the frosting by combining the nonfat yogurt, honey and cream cheese until smooth. Place in the refrigerator to cool.
6. Using a 3-inch circle cutter, stamp out three round cakes from the baking tray.
7. Stack each cake on top of each other, making sure to add a generous layer of frosting between each layer.
8. Frost the outside of the cake with as little or as much frosting as desired.
9. Decorate your cake with the toppings of your choice.
Add a candle and it’s time to PAWTY!
Find her on Instagram: @hellohoku